Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Nicaragua - Week 1 - Bienvenidos a Nicaragua

Oi!
Well, I´m officially Nica for a week. Salvaje ¿no?
Now, first off, The spanish keyboard is way crazy and is currently driving me nuts, so if i make a mistake and don´t fix it. Get over it. I´m probably more frustrated than you :) So I don´t even know where to begin. Oh wait I know. Hot!!!! It´s crazy hot down here. Walking out of the airport was like walking into a wall of two years worth of sweat all packed into one staggering moment.
So Nicaragua... I don´t really know how to describe it. It´s definitely very third world and the traffic is the crazyest, most suicidally organized thing in the world. People here are way way way poor also so you´ll see in the streets people begging or juggling for money and a lot of them are kids - only 7 years old or so. Like I said, traffic is absolutely crazy. People just run throuh the streets and every car is flying around the other but everyone knows what they´re doing so it´s all good. That´s mainly the more urban side of Managua. Where we are right now is a place called Sabana Grande. Sabana Grande is actually a lot more rural and dirty. All the streets are dirt and to be more specific there really aren´t streets - just long stretches of dirt where there aren´t houses but there are chickens, dogs, pigs, turkeys, horses, lizards, and a billion flies or moscas.
The food is actually pretty good. We couldn´t have a better cook. The woman who cooks for us is absolutely amazing (but never better than you mom). We´re always having rice, beans, chicken, and platano which is really good. I´ve had mango too which is really good and also, the fruit juice down here is to die for.
Where we are right now is called Sabana Grande. We are actually the first missionaries ever in the area which has made it pretty difficult but lots of fun. We spent all Wednesday night looking for a house and finally we found one. Honestly, it really couldn´t be nicer but let me describe it. Picture a Garage with walls that block off a couple of rooms and a bathroom with a shower head stuck in the wall, a sink and a toilet and a concrete floor. It´s pretty basic but we have a toilet! Yay for the simple things in life huh?
I just want to put a note here that best describes the Spanish in this country. First off they use a crazy tense called vos which makes it hard enough but throw on their accent and you get lost in seconds. Imagine learning Englisha and going to backwoods Georgia. ¿Entiende?
Pues, even with all the craziness that is Nicaragua, I absolutely love it here. I wouldn´t have wanted it any different. Because, we´re opening a new area, we´ve had a ton of work to do. ´We´ve been contacting like crazy and talking to everybody which makes it really nice. It´s funny cuz I stick out like a sore thumb. Everyone calls me Chele, Gringo, Elder or something crazy which always makes it interesting. Also, it´s really fun to talk to the people because they´re all real open (the drunks are realllly open) and so you always have someone to talk to.
The work here though is slow to start but we´re working our tails off all day long. We´ve been teaching a woman and her daughter named Maritza and Jumilet (the names here are pretty different too). It was way cool because we taught about the Gospel of Jesus Christ and baptism and then after a while taught about the restauration of that gospel through the prophet Joseph Smith. The Spirit was incredibly strong. They couldn´t make to church this past week which was sad but I´ve got high hopes for them. All it takes is a sincere desire and open heart with prayer to know the truth. Not just have a blind belief but really know, which is something I love about the gospel. I know it´s true. I know Jesus Christ died for me, and everyone else too. That´s why I´m here.
Well, I love you all very very much. It was really nice to talk to my family last night and I hope my Mom and Grandmas had a wonderful Mother´s Day.
Con amor, su misionero,
Elder Harris
PS. Please email me if you want to write me. The mail won´t get to me for six weeks or so if you don´t. Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment