Monday, June 7, 2010

Nicaragua - Week 5 - Oi cheles!

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Timothy Travis Harris wrote:

Hey! Are you ready for this?

This has been one crazy week so... (crack the knuckles)... lets get started. Well, I didnt tell you last week because I didnt want anyone worried, but I found out on Monday that I have actually had Pneumonia since about three weeks in the MTC. Fun huh? So I was pretty much ordered to bed for a couple of days which I hated and loved at the same time. Loved, because my body ached and Im always tired and hated because this week wasnt hardly productive at all. Still we found time to work in between coughs :) Outside of that though, on Tuesday I must have ate something with a grudge because at the same time I had pneumonia, I also had food poisoning. Did you know that Gallopinto (rice and beans) looks exactly the same coming up as it did going in in the first place? I´ll tell you that that really makes it hard to clean the plate the next time you sit down for dinner. Also, this week, because we´ve been pretty much crippled, we haven´t had a lot of success and to top it off, our baptisms for Saturday all fell through. Now I tell you this not to whine at all but to set the mood for what all else happened.

First off, I decided that if I didn´t figure out what I was grateful for real quick, this week was going to rougher than it already was. And so I started to look around again. First off, when I go home, I get to go home to a large, furnished home with Air Conditioning! Also, I can actually have the dream of being a Doctor. I know several kids out there in Sabana Grande whose life dream (and I´m seriously talking would just die if it happened) is to learn English and work in a call center for the rest of their life. They tell me this with the biggest smile they have. Random related fact: I ran into a gringo from New York today who was doing training for a call center here. Also, I have all my limbs. Walk around Nicaragua and you´ll be surprised at how many people are missing an arm or a leg or both. You see people without limbs all over the place. Another thing I am super glad I have is a wonderful family. Family here is the most disorganized saddest thing you´ll see. Im talking about Dads that take off and dont feel bad cuz they were never married in the first place, cousins that all live together in a tiny tin house with the most random assortment of brother/sister in laws because every other family member is either dead or took off. This means that the most of the kids look to gangs and drugs for solace and home and the rest struggle through school while working a full time job and supporting the family. I love my family for a billion reasons the most basic reason that it exists. And then I look at everything else I have, and I can never feel sorry for myself ever.

Well, on to the next set of stories. So Saturday night, we were pretty bummed cuz nothing was going our way at all. All of our plans fell through and we were stuck at a park bench with nothing. Then we got the idea to visit a reference we got of a recent convert but less active family, La familia Hernandez. Entonces, we jumped on the bus (oh the bus! but thats another story for another day) and headed up to their house. Anyways, we all sat down and started talking about how families can be together forever. We had a nice spiritual lesson on temples and eternal families and then in the end we told them about the upcoming temple trip that is happening for the members in Nicaragua. Nothing extraordinary happened but things were happy. Then the mom said the closing prayer, and in the middle just started crying. It turns out that that very morning, the family had all got together and prayed to know what they needed to do to be happier and specifically if they needed to prepare to go to the temple or not. Elder Lopez and I were the answer to someones prayer that day. I cant say we got a huge spiritual impression to go, but we went about doing our job and we were part of something wonderful and Im really grateful for that.

Anyways, moving on. That Sunday that whole family showed up which was super exciting for us! Yeah for sundays now moving on. Today we had to wake up really early because we all went to Masaya or more specifically Volcan Masaya. Well, that was the first volcanoe I have ever visited and it was super cool. We couldnt see any lava or anything but it was like this giant anthill with a ton of smoke just pouring out of it so it didn´t dissapoint. I took a ton of pictures too so they should be coming next week so get excited. Also, for all my other random things... We had Elder Falabella, Elder Duarte (both of the seventy) President Ochoa (of the YM so mom you can talk to Pres. Beck if you want) and President Osguthorpe (of the Sunday School) all come to visit us this week which was way cool. Also, my super awesome news of the week is that despite a bad case of food poisoning we ended up going to MacDonalds!!!! Twice!!!!!! I never thought I could love a Big Mac that much but I did and it was good.
Oh yeah, gallopinto has nothing on two all beef patties and the rest.

Pues, I love you all, Dont worry about me. Im pretty much all healthy now. And I'll write you all next week with a whole new bunch of adventures.
Con amor,
Elder Harris

Oh and why am I supposed to look for Elder Kunz again? Yes his dad came for teeth or something. Anyways I found him and hes actually my brother. My trainer trained him too last change. Please connect the dots somebody. Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment