Thursday, March 25, 2010

Travis - Week 4: March 4th? No wait! It's March 23

March 4

Como Estan Familia?

Wow! I can't believe I just got here! Wasn't breakfast yesterday just great at Village Inn? Have you cried yet? So I was just walking away when....

WAIT!!!! What do you mean it's not March 4???? I've been here three weeks already???!!!??? Vaca Santa!

March 23

So now that that is all straightened out, let me fill you all in. First off, I can't believe it's already been three weeks. They have a saying here that the days feel like weeks and the weeks feel like days. That is completely true. As you can see from my clever little intro. But seriously, I just said good bye to some really good friends that I've only known for three weeks who are all heading to the field.

Well, there have been a number of really interesting things this past week and I'll try to catch you up on all of them. First off, there is a devotional every Tuesday night where a general authority comes and speaks. So, of course, there are always a billion rumors floating around about who. Well, last Tuesday we were pleasantly surprised when Elder Quinton L. Cook came and visited our humble little MTC. (There was a little sarcasm in that because the MTC is hardly little and takes about a week to not get lost in.) Still, it was awesome listening to Elder Cook. He had a lot to say about missionary work and teaching by and having the Spirit which I really enjoyed.

Probably, the other really big thing I should mention is that my companion Elder Hughes and I have been made zone leaders. It's definitely a big job, because we are over 6 or 7 districts at any given time. This means a lot of meetings and having to be perfect all the time but we're confident the Lord will guide us.

Also, I want to talk about the MTC itself a little. Really the word itself actually. Missionary Training Center. Our branch president is always saying that the middle name of the MTC is Training. Oh boy, that couldn't be truer. We don't have any breaks at all really. P-day is the closest thing we have to any relaxation but that is spent doing laundry, studying some more, and writing my wonderful family and friends. On a normal day, I'm in class at least 6 hours and studying on my own or with my companion for five. Once a week, we do service projects around the campus to make sure everything is good. We are expected to be clean cut, focused, and ready to go with a good attitude. That is what the MTC does for us. But the thing that I've noticed most about the MTC is what the Lord does for us. It seems that whenever I have questions, I'm down or frustrated, or I simply am having a bad day, something happens that too perfect to be a coincidence and turns me back again. I have to tell you that more that 5 or 6 times in the last week. When I have been ready to just scream or cry for shear frustration, I hear a talk, listen to a lesson, or get a piece of mail that is incredibly perfect for my situation. As a missionary there is no such thing as coincidence. I know this now more than anything. The Lord is molding me and everyone here to tell the world that Christ lives, he loves us, and we can return to our Heavenly Father and it all starts with faith.

I love you all and hope you all have the best week possible. And please! Write me!!! I cannot tell you how much mail means to everybody here. If you know any missionary write them. They'll love you forever. (And DearElder.com is free for anyone in the MTC). I'd love to hear from you.

Amor,
Elder Harris

Y si habla en espanol, escribame en espanol. si quiere.

No comments:

Post a Comment