Monday, May 31, 2010

Nicaragua - Week 3 - It's Just a Giant Circus!

So, where to begin....

First off, thankyou to all my wonderful family that wrote me this week! It was really nice to hear from you all! Dele pues.

So my past week has been an interesting one. First off, I want to point out what I mean by its a circus. So the last several days it has been raining buckets at night. It refuses to do so in the hot day and so the humidity just about kills us and then at night likes to keep us awake by falling on our metal roof. But such is Nicaragua and I'm okay with that. What bothers me is the hordes of bugs, flies, and fleas that come out after every rain storm. And the kicker is that repellant only attracts them apparently. So yeah, its just a giant flea circus :)

But what really makes it a circus I would say is the shear abundance of clowns tenderly called borrachos. There are a billion drunk men in the streets of Sabana Grande which always makes things interesting. Oh boy. But they are really fun when you're talking to them in English and they have no idea what is going on but they still act like they do. Oh yeah, theyre a joy.

The work is going good. We still haven't had a baptism but we have one planned on Saturday with a girl named Kellen. There are a lot of little things we still have to take care of but she seems really excited and has a sincere desire to learn. Anyways, we're praying that everything goes well. We had others planned for Saturday too but there are a lot of problems with them getting married so we are pretty focused on the one we do have.

Probably the coolest thing this past week happened last night. Yesterday was pretty rough for a while. I had this killer sore throat, my head was throbbing, and none of our new investigators showed up to church. To top it off, my Spanish just wasn't cuttin it. It got to be 630 and I was really frustrated because I didn't know how to turn the day around. My philosophy here is no bad days - at all. And so I was praying for a miracle and I got it. We went and talked to a family we talked to the night before and basically this is what the father whose name is Yalman said. "I used to have your Book of Mormon and I lost it. Can I have another? I really like it." and then a little later "I just want to change my life and be clean." and then a little later "I know what youre saying is true. And I really want to go to your church." First off, I was like, Have I got a deal for you! And the best part was that he's been learning English and hes really good so I seeing as we were speaking English, Im pretty sure I understood. I'll close real quick with this. I know that there are people in the world and especially here in Nicaragua that have been and are being prepared to receive this gospel. Its amazing huh? I love it. I love the gospel. I know its true.

Elder Harris

Oh so I finally have a few pictures. Nothing too exciting. Its pretty dangerous to whip out a camera and start snapping photos around here. There are cameras sure but Im white and they see that and think, wow he must be rich. Anyways, heres a couple until i can take a few more.

1. Home sweet home. The fan is my best friend. We have a small bathroom and also where we sleep to the right. But thats pretty much it.

2. All Im going to say is one day.

3. MTC sign.

4. MTC district.
NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

No comments:

Post a Comment