Monday, May 31, 2010

Nicaragua - Week 4 - DIRT!

Oi Familia y los Demas

So hey, it has been another week here in Nicaragua. Believe it or not, Im almost at a month. Time is flying! I can hardly believe it. Also I heard that Mike got back and did super tuanis on his talk. And lets not forget my sister too (on Seminary Graduation talk). I think I heard that she blew it out of the park. Anyways, it sounds like things are crazy but great at the same time. Anyways, let me catch you up on a couple interesting things that happened this week down south where snow doesn´t even exist.

First off, we have been teaching this awesome family, Yalman y Karla. Im pretty sure I already talked about them but this is whats new. So as of Sunday, they have become the most honest people in Nicaragua for me. You see Nicas don´t want to offend anybody. So if you invite them to church or practically anything, whatever comes out of their mouth next, you pretty much know its a lie - which ends up offending a little bit. you just have to jump into the Nica mindset. Imagine now when we pass by this family to bring them to church and I see two clean cut people ready and waiting each happy to go, I just about died. We´ve been teaching them poco a poco but Im pretty sure they´re going to be baptized this Saturday so I´m super stoked.

Second, now I have to put a little disclaimer here. I have Catholic friends and I think family. They are wonderful people and I love them very much. The same with Evangelicals. Now let me tell the story of our land lord. Anyways, our land lord is our neighbor so we get to see a lot of him and all in all he and his wife are just awesome. Anyways, the other day I was just chillin and reading my Libro de Mormón when I hear a knock on the door. I opened and there was our landlord. I hardly said, hola when he started with this. (roughly translated but the same gyst) ¨"The catholic church is the most corrupt church on the face of the earth and I don´t really like the Evangelicals. So whatever you and your companion need, I´ll support you in it.¨ Then he promptly told me why. Apparently the local Catholic church has been paying anybody and everybody 20 córdobas to throw dirt clods and rocks at our house. Anyways I promptly told him I appreciated his support, gave him a Book of Mormon which a) he gladly accepted and b) has already read a little, and set up an appointment to teach him and his wife. So that explains the title of this week a little.

Also, just a note on the mission of Nicaragua Managua. First off it is the best mission in the world. Just so you know - we baptized over 600 people and 105 families in the month of May. Since Sabana Grande is still a little young, we´re a bit behind the curve but we´ve got several baptisms and confirmations lined up for the last two weeks of the transfer. Anyways its super exciting to be here in Nicaragua right now. We also have 70% retention and we´re shooting right now for 90. If you all have time, check out Daniel 2 and that big old stone thats filling the earth. Nicaragua´s been really blessed to see that stoned just romping around the country.

There really is something special in this work. Just being able to see the lights click on in a person is an experience I don´t think I´ll ever forget. The Lord is working something special here in Nicaragua. I know the church is true. I know the Book of Mormon is true. I know these things and I´m ready and stoked to get going this next week to tell everybody.

Pues, Im always thinking of you all when I get a chance :) and the rest of the time is the Lord´s so take a number.

Love you all!
Dele pues,

Elder Travis Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment