Monday, June 14, 2010

Nicaragua Week 6 - Vamo Pue

Hola mi familia y todo,

Wow! So I´m now at the end of my first cambios [transfers]. I honestly can´t believe it at all. It sure has been crazy, but I absolutely loved it. Anyways this week has been pretty much awesome so let me tell you about it.

But first let me respond to all my wonderful fan mail this week, which I absolutely loved getting. First off, I once again can´t believe my sister graduated. When I looked at that picture, I hardly recognized you! Holy cow. And speaking of not recognizing... where in the world did my Dad go? Or at least half of him, because that person in that picture definitely isn´t him. But for all of you who don´t know, my Dad kicked some trash in the triathalon (I think it was in Logan?) so that makes me jealous.

Anyways, let me try to keep up with all that good news. (I´ll write you all later if I have time but if not, this is my love to all of you and thankyou for the mail because I really appreciated it. Love you all.)

So this week was absolutely awesome. We worked our tails off all week and por fin Sábana Grande had its first baptisms in a long time. The first was a 18 year-old kid we´ve been working with forever it seems like. It seemed like at first he didn´t want anything to do with the church, but we just kept visiting and being his friend and he gradually opened up. He´s been learning English and so he absolutely loves to talk to me all the time about how to pronounce this or say that. He actually gets mad at me when I speak Spanish. Funny huh? Anyways, his name is Fares Alexander Poveda Valle and he used to be a bago (gangster). You´d be surprised how many people here used to be bagos. I think we´re teaching something like 4 or 5 used to be´s. Anyways, he´s been looking for a way to be clean and change his life forever, so gladly we told him how. A lot of work later and Fares was baptized this Saturday. He was really excited especially because he wanted to be my first baptism and so he became my first three. The first time I said his name wrong, the second time his hand didn´t dunk, but the third time was the charm and down went the bago and out came Fares. I´m looking forward to hear from him in a year because he is super stoked to serve a mission.

The next baptism was this girl named Gloria. She´s this spunky little thing that reminds me a lot of my little cousins (that really aren´t so little anymore.) Anyways, she loves Jesus and the Book of Mormon and the Prophet and everybody. We´ve been teaching her whole family (the Dad is inactive and the Mom is super positive) and we´re hoping everything goes well and we can get the Mom baptized too. They just have to get married first (ten years and nothin - still not even divorced from the first time either) and then they are so ready.

Also, the other coolest thing ever happened yesterday at church. We had the stake president come and so we had 38 people in our little nucleo 18 of which counted for our attendance so I´m pretty stoked about that too. The only problem is that five minutes before the speaker told me he didn´t have anything prepared and so guess what!? So I spoke about the Tree of Life and how we need to hold to the Iron Rod (the word of God). It was only my second talk in Spanish but it was actually pretty good believe it or not.

Anyways I have no time really at all today but here goes all the answers to all your questions,Me and my comp get along really well. Of course, he can drive me a little crazy at times but overall, I´m super lucky to have him training me. He really is an awesome missionary.

Cambios are on Wednesday and I still don´t know what´s gonna happen, but we are getting 30 new missionaries so probably something.

Yes, we found someone to do our laundry. The church is actually at her house. She´s this really sweet old lady that basically treats us like her favorite children in the world so it´s awesome.

And believe it or not, the Spanish is going really good. The miracle isn´t speaking so much as understanding so I´m feeling really blessed.

Well, I love you as always. I know this church is true. I know that the Book of Mormon is true. I´m seeing it change people´s lives, and I know that the Spirit is testifying to others that it´s true too. You just have to take a look and it´s there. We´re just inviting others to look.

Con amor,
Elder Harris

PS funny story
So Saturday in the morning we had a service project at the local park where we cleaned it all up. Across the street is the Catholic church so when the local priest saw 20 mormons cleaning up on his turf, he ran out of the church to yell and swear at us as loud as he could. He actually threatened to call the police. Honestly, I just think the whole thing was hilarious...

ring ring click.
Hello Presidente Fraatz?
Yes Elder, what happened?
I´m in jail for community service. Please come get me.

No comments:

Post a Comment