Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Travis Week 8 - Last email from the MTC

Felicidades familia

And why should I say felicidades? Because this is my last email from the MTC!!!!! Yes, your favorite missionary is headed off to Nicaragua on Monday May 3rd at 3:00 in the morning. Loco verdad? I'm actually sending all the times and flight numbers in the mail and they should be on their way very soon. So what is new...

Well, I had the chance to be a host last Wednesday which was really neat. Not as exciting as I had originally thought (standing in the rain for a long time) but it was still way cool. I got to be the first glimpse of the MTC for two Elders named E' Russell and E' Deal which was pretty sweet. Instead of someone else taking me away, it was me taking someone else away. Of course, I was having flashbacks of when I was dropped off which was interesting. I suddenly realized how abrupt it was but I guess it was for the better looking back.

So of course this weather is driving me just a little crazy, but it's all good. We try to study outside and that satisfies me a little bit. Sometimes though, you'd just love to go swimming. Well, I'd better get used to it. It's all worth it though.
And I'll tell you why right now. This happened a couple weeks ago and I don't know why I forgot to tell you but here goes.

So, I was in the ReferralCenter calling people who've ordered things from the church. Basically, they order something and we check to see if they got it, what they thought about it, and talk to them about the church a little. Usually we get just answering machines, but everynow and then you get someone and then usually they yell at you or use some trick to get rid of you which is always interesting. However, I made a call to a woman named Limia in Chicago. Fortunately she spoke english which made it easier for me to understand her. I asked her if she got the DVD she ordered and she said yes and that she liked it. I asked her something along the lines of have you heard of the church, and she said yes but she had a question. Her question was, " Why don't you drink coffee?" I was super stoked after this cuz I could talk about prophets and how God has given us the word of wisdom through the prophet Joseph Smith. Basically the conversation ended with me sending her the missionaries to her, but what she said after was the best ever. She said (in a motherly Mexican accented voice), " I've been praying every night to God to find His true church and then you called."

Well, do I have news for YOU!!!!!! That is just the coolest thing in the world for a missionary to hear. I was so super happy. It made every angry answer disappear. Heavenly Father is preparing people to hear this gospel. All it takes is an open heart and a willingness to learn and change for the better. This is so true. It's like a fire in the heart and I know it's the Spirit.

Les quiero todo y espero que todos esten bien.

Hasta luego y hasta Nicaragua!
Elder Travis Harris

PS I'm not ZL anymore which is good and bad all in one. I'll miss it, I'm glad to be done, and I'm ready for what's next. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment